Do you carry around the embarrassment and inconvenience of heavy bleeding during periods? Are you forced to take off from work or studies because of excessive bleeding? Do you stick to dark-colored clothes during the dreaded days? You’re not alone.
Generally, heavy bleeding (Menorrhagia) needn’t imply any serious complication. But it can impact your physical, emotional and social well-being and disrupt routine life. Since blood-loss while menstruating varies largely from person to person, heavy bleeding is largely subjective. Hence even without diagnosis you can almost always tell if you have Menorrhagia.
Ask yourself the following questions to know that your bleeding is too much.
- Are you using more number of sanitary napkins than what is usual for you?
- Do you experience heavy bleeding that stain your clothes or bedding often?
- Does your period last for more than a week?
If you answer YES to all, then you do have heavy periods.
Lifestyle changes that can make a difference:
- Heavy Periods can be linked to your iron deficiency. Including plenty of iron-rich foods like green leafy vegetables, apple, chick peas, honey and jaggery is one thing you can do. Starting your day by having a couple of date-fruits can also boost your iron-reserve.
- Feast on vitamin C rich fruits like orange. This will help your body to absorb iron better & perhaps make your blood vessels stronger.
If you feel the need to remedy your nutritional deficiencies by taking vitamin C or iron supplements, please consult your doctor first. Similarly, it is always better to check with a Gynecologist to make sure there are no other underlying conditions that cause you to bleed excessively during periods.